Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Ratlings, Kindred and Scavengers or Hobbits in Space!

I've had this idea rattling (apologies) around in my head for some time now about a sci-fi skirmish force consisting of vertically challenged peoples. While traditionally gamers tend to go for squats (space dwarves) I thought I'd try something a little different and try to gather a small force of hobbits and their kin. There aren't that many around but I have managed to get a few examples.

Ratlings from the original Rogue Trader line


Scavengers from Black Tree Design


Kindred from Hasslefree Miniatures

At the moment I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of using the Kindred as a Planetary Defence Force, while using the Rogue Trade minis as former military types retired to their home planet. The BTD scavengers may just have come home from the wars and gone a little John Rambo.

I don't know if anyone has had a read of the background for the ratlings in Rogue Trader but I'm chucking that out and starting afresh. Something just doesn't seem right with me about portraying halflings as hedonistic, promiscuous layabouts. 

Anyway these are just the first thoughts on this fairly small project. Hopefully I can get somewhere with it before I get distracted.






4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you posting again John! A ratling rogue trader would be a cool character, joined by a ratling psyker and ratlings in power armour. Get to it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks phreedh. Its good to be back. I actually have a couple of ideas for ratlings in power armour and if I can track down Shorty he'll make a fine rogue trader

      Delete
  2. Those BTD Scavengers look waaay better than I thought they would! They would look great in some sort sort of jungle camo body paint. I dont think that I could shoehorn those models into any of my projects, but Im glad that you are planning to. I want them on a table near me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fine figures, although I can see problems with their guns down the line, they are surprisingly flimsy. I'll certainly give the jungle camo a go - on a couple anyway.

      Delete