Friday, 27 July 2012

New Blog!

Well, first of all welcome to any one who reads this - which is my first post on my first blog. Already I'm beginning to wonder why I'm doing this or indeed how I got here.


Like many people my age, ie much closer to 40 than I care to admit, I started wargaming in the 80's and then took a long break while I got a life, a wife and a mortgage. Then I started hankering after games again. It started off with Axis and Allies: War at Sea - just buy the minis and play. Likewise with Wings of War. However that just didn't satisfy the old (young) gamer in me. It wasn't 3 dimensional enough, there was no scenery and I wasn't getting to paint anything. Naturally enough I wandered off into the world of historical wargames - 15mm colonial, 28mm Irish War of Independence and 28mm zombies (Well I wouldn't be a true wargamer if I didn't get distracted now would I).


Then this latest addiction began. OldhammerIt all began when I was looking for painting tips and I stumbled across Dave Kings site. All those beautiful old figures, many of which I had dreamed of owning when I was a kid. Cue disorganised e-bay purchases. From there it was a short trip to Thansants and his Orcs Drift collection. Cue slightly less disorganised e-bay purchases and online searches for scenarios and every White Dwarf I could find. But nothing recent you understand because They Who Shall Not Be Named are now evil as we all know and there current rules are not what I was looking for. 


While wandering around online I encountered the first mention of the Oldhammer Contract and realised this was what I was looking for. True retro gaming harking back to the days when an army could be made up of any manufactures minis and the emphasis was on fun not rules. One trip to my parents attic later and I discovered I still had a complete box set of Warhammer 2nd edition and most of my old minis (speaking of which I now realise I gave away most of the Nightmare Legion and both the Chaos Dwarf tenderiser and whirlwind!).


Right I think that's enough for now. Next post will deal with what direction I have decided to go in. Oh ok then I'll give you a hint - it involves Orcs, Goblins, Trolls, Ogres and maybe Skaven. Did I mention the Undead. But that's it. See I'm much more focused than I was when all this started.


Thanks for reading this.


Just John

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed Orc's Drift - its looking like I might finish writing the whole thing up at this rate!

    Good luck with your project(s!)

    ReplyDelete