Tuesday, 31 July 2012

I Want Them All

When I was a kid I used to stare at army lists and count up how many figures I would need to field every unit in an individual army. I'm sure it wasn't just me right? With the crazy numbers in the 3rd edition lists - 200 goblins and another 200 archers that always seemed unachievable on pocket money (is it just me or does anyone else hate the terms gobbo and sticka, it makes them seem more cartoony and less evil in my eyes but that's a subject for another post?).


Now that I'm an adult, albeit one who plays with toy soldiers, I find myself tempted to do the same thing again. Only this time I'm thinking to myself  'this is actually achievable. Its simple all I need to do is collect one of each Orc and Goblin that was released up to and including 3rd edition. Then add in any other Kev Adams sculpts from various manufacturers and that's that'. Simple really. If I was rich I suppose it would be.


However over time I think it is doable. I already have a good foundation to build on with the remnants of my old collection. Luckily I kept Skullcrusher, Leadbelcher and the Goblin Kings Chariot from the Machineries of Destruction range. I have the Goblin King and Bodyguard  Limited Editions and quite a few Orcs & Goblins as well as those that I have picked up on E-bay recently - including one under priced job lot that included all 8 of the Mothercrushers and another Goblin King & Bodyguard. At the moment all the minis are in various stages between the jars of Evergreen, getting undercoated and based before painting. When I have them all undercoated I'll put up some photos of the fledgling army.


So that's where the main focus of my Oldhammering is going - on fulfilling a childhood dream. Its going to take a while and I'm sure I'll end up taking short cuts along the way but at least it gives me something to aim for.


Next post I'll deal with some of the ideas for smaller side projects that I have rattling around in my head.






4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a goodly horde already!

    A lot of good deals can be had on the orcs in job lots on ebay, although I've sometimes found gobbo's (sorry goblins!) going for daftish prices - and as for wolf riders!!

    I was quite glad to find I still had the 20 goblin archers from the two plastics Warhammer regiments box set that I chipped in with my mates back in the day!

    Oh and I quite often spent a happy afternoon with the Armies book and a calculator too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't talk to me about wolf riders - I haven't won a single auction before the prices go nuts. Luckily I have 2, not quite a horde but from small acorns grow large oaks etc.

    Maybe my general will just have to develop a severe phobia to mounted troops, it would certainly make life cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. Wolf Riders. I was very, very lucky to get enough for Forenronds last stand (the scenario in the back of the rulebook). Good luck with those!

    Interestingly enough, I started my blog in the same place as yours - wanting to make the Orc army I always wanted as a kid - now, even though I have the figures, I have three other armies and all of them are in various stages of construction. I've assembled some of the orcs, but that's as far as I've got. You'll be there in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Orc maniac. My biggest tip for getting a game-able horde in the quickest time is to pick up is the fantasy regiments boxed sets. These should be dirt cheap but I have seen them begin to go for silly prices too.

      Wolf riders, my tip, bid what you think they are worth on every thing you see. Most will fall but a few will get through, large job lots are usually better value these days than singles. But to be honest you have my sympathies the market has shot up for these little gems.

      Delete